In the world that we live in today, facebook is a big deal. To the point that its most recent "face lift" made national news. National news, people.
Everybody and their cousin's aunt's sister's husband's uncle (twice removed) is on facebook. I am friends with teachers, people from church, co-workers, my mother-in-law...it's insane. After I got over the initial shock of people outside of the college world being allowed "in," I still wasn't comfortable with full-blown adults being on there. I never really had anything on my page that was incriminating, it was just weird for them to be there. I'm over that, I accept there is no going back, and I embrace it. It's a great way to keep up with my family, and friends and some folks that I would otherwise never talk to.
Since it is such a social place to meet these days (and you can literally be friends with your preacher,) it's time that I offer one of my infamous "lists" about what is or IS NOT appropriate for you to do on facebook. These rules generally apply for myspace as well.
Please spell things correctly. I can not...can not stand when people misspell things in their facebook and myspace updates. For instance, "extreamly happy" is wrong. There is no A in extreme. If you're not sure - open up a Word doc and check. It just makes you look dumb. (Of course typo's don't apply, because no one is perfect - I'm talking about people who spell things like they sound on a regular basis.)
Leave your baby-mama-drama at home. Again with the status updates - no one needs to know that you haven't gotten your child support check this week, or that you just had sex, or that you cheated on your girlfriend, or you hate that "triflin' ho." Just leave it.
Pictures. While I really enjoy looking at my friend's photos - their vacations, their children's first birthday parties, a few drunken nights at a bar - I do not want to see you half naked taking a picture of yourself in the mirror. This is the "myspace shot," and I'm over it.
Wall Etiquette. All I will say is: please remember that what you write on other people's wall, unless protected, is very public information. That goes back to the status updates - if you have private info, send it in a message.
Facebook and myspace are totally for fun, as they should be, but I just think that some rules should apply. And p.s. I'm a little upset about the new face-lift. I wish they'd just make up their mind and leave it be!
3 comments:
I agree with all of this! :)
lol so agree!
lol...i agree too! especially now that employers and coworkers can get on here and look at what you have up!
Post a Comment