Thursday, August 20, 2009

Time to Vent.

Today has been one of those I-just-need-to-cry-because-I-freaking-can days. I have two pairs of pants that I can comfortably wear to work. Two - and one of them I can't button. Much to my dismay, my husband did laundry last night and both of them had been put in the wash. Nothing to really get upset about. I am very fortunate to have a husband that is willing to do the chores for a while because I would live in a pig stye and have absolutely no clothes to wear. So thank you, Nate.

I know that gaining weight in pregnancy is normal - and well, encouraged, but when I stepped on the scale a few days ago it kinda punched me right in the face. I have no plans to diet or anything crazy like that so nobody freak out (I like to eat SO much that I'm pretty sure you may never have to worry about me dieting) BUT it got me thinking about my eating habits since my pregnancy began.

From week 6 - 12 I pretty much needed to eat what I could when I could because of the nausea and vomiting that would come at all hours of the day, and the things I grabbed to eat were always quick: fast food, spaghetti-o's, etc. anything that I could have in my hands and eat faster then the nausea could come back. My doctor told me this was totally fine - eating anything at all was my main goal and to focus on the nutrition part when I felt better.

Now that I'm much better - I haven't fixed my habits. I really need help from Moms and healthy people alike. What the frick am I supposed to eat?! The thought of this this morning while squeezing on my pants brought me to tears. I literally could not think of anything in this world that I could eat that was a) feasible in the short amount of time I had to get to work and b) was healthy. Crying just makes you feel better sometimes, but I still haven't solved my dilemma.

I have eaten a pop tart for the past 10 weeks it feels like every single morning. I am over the pop tart. Nate suggested granola bars, but they last me about 30 minutes and then I'm hungry again so unless I eat like 16 granola bars that won't work either. I, for some reason, have had issues with keeping fruit down. Cereal is out because I can't eat until I get to work anyway because my stomach isn't settled until then and oh my gosh I'm rambling. Suggestions?

Lunch - what the heck is healthy for lunch?! I have been advised against eating cold turkey and ham. My doc said if I make the sandwich, it's fine - if the sandwich meat is heated, it's fine - but eating a club is not fine. If you haven't heard of this new pregnancy rule and you really like cold cuts close your ears because I would have been JUST fine living the "ignorance is bliss" way of life had a friend not told me about this - if you contract a certain bacteria that can be found in cold cuts (as well as poorly prepared or undercooked meat) you basically will miscarry. The M word is enough to keep me making my turkey sandwiches in the safety of my own home (so to speak) but seriously, what the HECK am I supposed to eat?! Prior to pregnancy I ate turkey sandwiches, clubs etc. on a regular basis and now I'm just screwed. No wonder America is fat - they don't have a CHOICE.

I think I've rambled enough, but seriously I'm frustrated.

And if that's not enough - I moved my baby brother to college yesterday.

Jake and Zane (his roommate) in their new dorm. They refused to smile.

I'm very proud of him - and super happy he's going to college - it just hurts that he's not going to be at my parents house every time I go down there. At least he has Zane and his beautiful girlfriend Alexa there to keep him company :)

I'll shut up now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica- You are so funny! You remind me of myself. Crying is the best thing you can do to feel better. I know it makes me feel alot better.
As for breakfast, I ate pop tarts every morning for 15 years. Then I realized how bad it was for me and the older I get, My metobolism (sp?) is slowing down. So I eat 2 slices of Sarah Lee Brown Sugar Bread or Cinnamon Bread with strawberries or a banana. It holds me until Lunch.
For lunch- I did hear at deli meat was bad for pregnant women. I had no idea! Do you like Salads? Chicken Salad?

Lisa E

Amber said...

Here are some things that might be easy to take on the run or for lunch:

-Soup (so many different kinds and you can get different veggies and/or meats, though it's probably better to make your own without all "additives" & you could make enough to go to work)
- Baked potato with some broccoli, etc
-Salads
-Snacks: popcorn, cheese cubes, celery sticks w/ ranch

Breakfast is a toughie, but maybe you could get several cereal bars or just put your cereal in a baggie and drink some milk or OJ with it. (Folic acid is important, so picking out a cereal with a lot of folic acid would be good)

Hope some of this helps! I'm glad to hear that you aren't experiencing the morning sickness anymore!

Tully said...

Breakfast:
Muffins or bagels since they can be eaten quickly or in the car.
PB & J for lunch.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so you know from reading my blog that I had issues with gaining weight while I was pregnant. I knew it was all for the baby and yadayada but seeing the numbers go up to 150, 160, and eventually 180 KILLED me. I know exactly how you feel. I also know the trouble eating foods while pregnant can be. It seemed like everything I wasn't supposed to have, I craved. I was fortunate enough not to have dealt with morning sickness, though.
I don't even remember what I would eat during pregnancy, but I know I would eat fast food at least 2 times a week. I think you just have to be careful about WHAT you're eating. Fries are obviously bad. Maybe you could go Burger King and get a burger and the apple fries? IDK. For breakfast you could get a bagel, toast with peanut butter, or even do what Amber suggested and take cereal to work with you and bring a thermos of milk. For lunch, if you really wanted a sandwich, you can always ask the people who are preparing it to warm the meat in the microwave for you. I would eat at Subway and ask them to nuke it for like 30-45 seconds, and they had no problem. And, like Amber said salads, soups, baked potatoes, anything. Lunch is kind of easy as long as you can bring it with you to work. My friend, Jamie, while she was pregnant, she would bring a baked potato and chicken (or some kind of meat) to lunch every day. She had other stuff, too, but that was kind of her go-to food. Maybe you can bring left-overs from 2 nights prior so you're not eating the same thing every night and the following day. The options for snacks are endless: pretzels, baked potato chips, vegetables, popcorn, cheese sticks, fruit (when you can stomach it again), granola bars, etc. If it makes you feel better, eat lower fat or sugar free things. (Though, I don't remember if you're allowed sugar free...?)

Anonymous said...

and yogurt! calcium is SO important!