Wednesday, October 7, 2009

That's it! I'm moving to Canada.

I just stumbled across this information regarding the maternity leave policy in Canada. I've always had an issue about the American maternity leave - 6 weeks is just not enough to bond with a child that you just birthed. It's just not. NOW, after reading this. I think I may move to Canada for my next child. Bring on the maple syrup!


"Maternity benefits are paid for 15 weeks, and only a birth mother is eligible to receive these benefits. Even surrogate mothers, or those whose babies do not survive, may apply. Parental benefits are paid for 35 weeks, and partners and adoptive parents may receive these benefits as well. If parents share benefits, the total between them may not exceed 50 weeks. In addition,there is a 2-week waiting period on the shared claim, so the total time away from work is 52 weeks..."

http://www.strocel.com/canadian-maternity-leave/

52 weeks? FIFTY-TWO WEEKS. That's a year, folks. And I get SIX? And two of those six are my PTO. WTF, man!? I don't blame my work, of course, because this is a standard policy in the US but DANG we need to do something about this. I think I shall now write a scathing letter to my Congressman.

f.i.f.t.y.t.w.o.w.e.e.k.s.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Certain parts of Europe have a year maternity & paternity leave too! & they have mandatory 5 weeks paid vacation. & paid healthcare. & if you get married or move, you get an extra week of paid vacation during that year.

Watch Sicko & it shows all of that. Reeeaaalllly makes me wanna move, even if I would have to pay higher taxes, how nice would all that other stuff be!!

Anonymous said...

Holy crapoli! I would love that.

Though, I didn't have to go back to work, so its kind of null and void for me, but you know!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I found that out this past year. A Planogram specialist in our Canadian office emailed everyone saying she was going on leave for a year. I asked why and she said to have a BABY! I was floored! I personally think 12 weeks is too early to send a baby to daycare. I think we should at least get 5 to 6 months. So is your work only allowing you 6 weeks or are you taking the FMLA 12 weeks?

As for Amber's point- I watched Sicko for my class. Even though Europe has great benefits for maternity leave and has free health care, they are paying for it in taxes. And at times they are not able to get the care they need. Doctors also end up paying a lot out of pocket to provide the health care to others.

Canada may have an awesome materinty leave plan, but at the same time, many canadians are coming here to get treatment. I guess nothing is perfect.

Lisa E