Friday, October 17, 2008

When it Rains, it Pours.

This week has been absolutely crazy! I haven't even been able to think about writing. Our brand new puppy became extremely sick in the wee hours of Sunday night/Monday morning, so Nate and I spent the majority of the night at the Emergency Vet. The word “parvo” was mentioned and I nearly had a heart attack. There was no "waiting to see if this one blew over.” Parvo kills puppies.

Thankfully, Bailey did not have parvo, but she did have various other stomach bugs including a disgusting bout of roundworms. She spent the next few days in and out of the vet, only coming home for about seven hours on Tuesday and then back in again until late Wednesday night. More than a few hundred dollars later, we have a healthy dog. Well, sort of - our nights now consist of waking at least every two hours to allow her to relieve her bladder and belly, and a 5 a.m. round of FOUR medicines.

It is amazing how quickly you can get attached to pets. The first night without her was really hard on us – having only had her for 7 days when she was admitted, you would have thought we had had her for 7 years. The house felt so quiet and empty. But, now we have her back full throttle. The biting, scratching, whining and barking are back, and life as we were beginning to know it can continue.

In other news, my car also has “more damage than originally thought” from my October 2nd accident. I’m driving around in a brand new Dodge Charger rental with terrible gas mileage and hellacious blind spots. So if you see me coming, watch out!

The main stress issue in all of this, is money. Money. Money. Money. Everything costs lots and lots of money, and I hate it. More on that to come…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to being a pet owner. After having Aspen for a year, she was in a fight and had 5 puncture wounds to her tail. After taking her to the vet, I had to make the decision, at lunch over the phone, to save her tail or amputate it. At that moment I decided to save it. This would mean changing bandages twice a week for at least 6 months. The next day I went to the Vet to have them show me how to change the bandage. Aspen was in so much pain that it took 4 people to hold her. I stood in the corner of the room and cried my eyes out. The vet then said that it may be good to amputate. I left Aspen there for them to do it, but it would be the next morning. I cried and debated on if i was doing the right thing. After calling a friend, I decided to keep the tail. I called the Vet and told them not to amputate. They said they would keep her over night for me so I could get some rest. Needless to say, after trips to the vet twice a week for 6 months and $1000.00 later, Aspen has her tail. Even thought it cost that much, I dont regret it! She wouldn't be the same cat with out it!

So I understand the love that you can have for your pet and the amounts of money we spend!

Lisa E