Friday, September 25, 2009

More things I've learned:

In celebration of making it to 20 weeks and being half way to meeting my little man, I thought I would share a few more things I've learned since becoming preggers. It's been a heck of a ride, and the best part seems yet to come.

Vampires aren't the only things that cause anemia. My nose bleeds near constantly - especially at night. I wake up with blood on my face, hand, pillow anything I may have touched while dreaming. Not to mention, I have to have my head propped up on Mt. Everest in order to be able to even remotely breathe through my nose. This is probably my least favorite symptom of my second trimester.

You can not be held responsible for what you dream. I got an e-mail from BabyCenter one day and was more-than-relieved to find out that strange dreams are a common occurrence in pregnancy. I'm talking uncomfortable dreams that make you wake up and feel shameful. Cheating. Lying. Spouses cheating and lying. All normal. Monday night I dreamt that Nate cheated on me with none other than Megan Fox. I distinctly remember thinking in my dream that I couldn't blame him because she is so hot (haha!) but I woke up in tears.

Practice makes perfect. Every night now - Every. Single. Night I have to get up and go to the bathroom. I have the capability of "holding it" of a 3 year old - nonexistent. Waking up at 2:00a.m. has made for being awake at least 30-45 minutes in the middle of the night as a) I wake Bailey up who then thinks it's time to play and b) I wake Nate up and make him realize suddenly that he, in fact, needs to pee, too. I told him that it's just God's way of giving us practice for being up in the middle of the night with a crying baby.

Walking in your closet can suck. I am half way done with pregnancy and also half way between my old pants (via help of a bella band) and my maternity pants...and it sucks. My regular pants are split to the point that the zipper won't budge upward in the slightest, but my maternity pants fall down. Before I went on vacation to the beach I sat in my closet and cried because I had nothing that fit right. I know, woe is me.

Baby kicks are interesting and wonderful. Most all mother's tell me feeling their baby move is what they miss the most about being pregnant. It's awesome, wonderful and a little weird all at the same time. Sometimes he feels like a little fish swimming around in there and if I think about it too much it totally makes me feel like an alien. I don't like it when he rolls on to my bladder and makes me have to pee four times in an hour, but I try not to complain. One of the best lines out of Jenny McCarthy's book Belly Laughs (which I HIGHLY recommend - it's hilarious) was how she was frustrated with how often her son got the hiccups but then a friend told her to look at it this way: it's just his way of saying, "Hi, Mom! I'm in here - and I'm okay." I'll live in the bathroom if that's what he's trying to tell me!

Shopping in a maternity store isn't half bad. I was terrified the first time I walked in to Motherhood Maternity Outlet - not because of the price or admitting that I needed much larger pants, but because I had no freaking clue how to understand sizing (honestly, because I've never looked). SO - to save you future mommy's some anxiety...you wear the same size you do now! Who knew? If you wear a large top regularly, you buy a large maternity top. If you wear a size 3 jeans you look for small pants. Medium dress = medium dress. I don't know what the heck I expected, but it wasn't going to be that simple in my mind. I thought I was going to need a measuring tape and scissors and some glue to figure out how to dress my newly developing body. Not so! So easy - annnd if you're in a maternity store they typically offer you water or juice. Ahh the perks!

Speaking of perks... I have grown a whole cup size. This is a way major, huge, ginormous, exciting, BIG deal for me. I have struggled to fill an A cup my entire life. I never knew what growing pains felt like because I never had them. Now my A cup overfloweth. You may not want to know that, but I don't care. :)

While we're on the topic- Breastfeeding terrifies me. Terrifies. You need me to dilate to 10cm and push out a watermelon? Awesome. Done. But, you want me to do WHAT with what, where and pump what into that bottle? I can not explain it. Having a complex about being on the itty bitty titty committee my entire life has led me to be somewhat...protective (ashamed?) of the general area, and the sight of it (with the OH SO INFORMATIVE reading material), thought of it, everything makes me want to curl up into a ball and cry. I literally had a panic attack when we stood in front of the breastfeeding section at Babies R Us two nights ago. I know, I know it's silly and I have no idea how I'll feel when he's born -but - I haven't learned that yet! This is me telling you how I feel now!

Registering is fun! We decided to start early simply because my showers will be earlier than "typical" because of the Christmas holiday. I don't want to monopolize anyone's time so most of my showers will be done by November. No regrets already - there were two other women that were reeeeally pregnant registering and they looked miserable. I on the other hand had a great time. Still worn out - but had a lot of fun.

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed a peek into my brain. I know I may be shallow at some points, but just tellin' ya how I feel! Happy Friday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica- you are too cute! I can't imagine what it is like to be pregnant! My good friend is due in 2 weeks. She sat on my couch and her entired stomach moved. It was like a little alien had taken over her body. I went to touch her belly and the little one poked me with her foot. It was so awesome and so weird at the same time. It is amazing how their is life in you!

As for Breast Feeding, I am with you. It creeps me out. I am not sure that I will succeed. I know they say it is better, but I wasnt breast fed and I turned out fine. You will come across people who may tell you "your baby will be dumb" if you dont breast feed (it happend to my friend by a lactation consultant). All I can say is do what is best for you! The baby knows when a mother is stressed. He will get his nutrition from Formula. My friend went through so much the first 4 weeks trying to breastfeed. She was stressed, which the baby could feel, so he became stressed and un happy.
I also know I dont want the baby to be solely dependent on me. I want my husband to be able to get up in the middle of night to feed and for my family to help. This is just me. Everyone is different.

Lisa E

Anonymous said...

Yay for 20 weeks! The next 20 are going to FLY by! :)
I had the most awful dreams when I was pregnant, and it was most always about something being wrong with Everett, or Nate cheating on me, or worse, one of them dying. Then it got to the point where I had dreams about me dying, and we don't want to go there.
That whole peeing thing was the. most. annoying. thing. in. the. world. Ugh.
I hated my closet when I was pregnant,too. I cried frequently.
Breastfeeding freaked me out too. I was scared of the unknown, basically. It was hard at first, I'm not gonna lie, but once he figured it out, it was simple. I was just weirded out by it, and we were always going somewhere and doing something so I couldn't pump or feed him. I stopped when he was like 7 weeks old. But then, as he got older, I wished I had kept it up because not only is it better for them, but I felt like I was losing out on that whole bond. Luckily for me, we got to bond while Nate was gone at training, so now I'm his favorite person without having had to breastfeed for 12 months! Haha.
I'll never understand why people wait until they're about to pop to have their baby showers. I'm an organized planner and I wanted his room perfect and ready before I was 8 months, just in case, so I had my shower in my 7th month. Made more sense to me!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Whenever Everett would move, I would think of Renesemee, and I would get freaked out that he was going to eat his way out of me. But then when he wouldn't move I would get really scared and I'd have to poke him to get him to squirm, lol.

Amber said...

Always good to focus on the perks! And I've heard that a lot of women have kept the new bra size that they have gained after the baby is born....you may no longer be an A cup! haha!

Oh goodness. The breastfeeding part would scare me too. I don't know anything about it & it just seems...umm idk, different. lol! good luck with that!

thanks for the info---i didn't know about the sizes either! :)