Monday, October 12, 2009

I am not one to mumble and mutter and moan on about what's going wrong in my life...while it's going wrong, so I have been absent the past few days. First off, Peanut is totally fine so everyone breathe.

I have been having some serious issues with eating for the last week, two weeks...by that I mean - I eat food, and then 30 -45 minutes later my heart POUNDS out of my chest, causing me not to be able to breathe, I feel heavy and I nearly pass out. I called my doctor last Tuesday and told them my symptoms, they said increase your protein because your blood sugar is causing you to crash. Fine. So I do that. Thursday I had the worst episode yet and could not breathe properly for two hours. After the first hour I called the doctor and they told me to get in there as soon as I could - well that scared the shiz out of me. A friend from work took me to the doctor where blood work and such were tested.

Basically, I have problems with blood sugar. It's not gestational diabetes, if anything it's the exact opposite. When I eat, my blood sugar sky rockets, and the "crash" is what I am feeling, causing the racing heart, inability to breathe, etc. I have to minimize my carbohydrate intake (significantly) and pretty much cut out sugars. Thankfully, I don't like sweets that much, but the two times I've crashed the hardest were after grape jelly and apple juice. Yeah, yeah - it f'ing sucks.

I've spent the past 5 days trying to figure out what I can and can't do, and more often than not, I have failed. Sugars get me - bad. Carbs are okay minimally, and I mean like a TINY bit of mashed potatoes. Eating smaller portions helps the most. If I basically eat like 4 almonds here, a tiny Nutrigrain bar there it doesn't happen.

I like to eat. I like to eat a lot. So I had a small breakdown, but peanut will be worth it. Like I say, he's fine - they checked his heart rate and I feel him move all the time. It's just mommy who has to suffer this time. I already prefer it that way. So here's hoping it's only temporary or at least goes away after the baby boy gets here. I'm trying to look on the bright side - at least I'll minimize weight gain as well, because well no Thanksgiving and Christmas sweets for me! Just protein, protein, protein!

p.s. My hands are a little swollen so I had to take off my wedding rings today. So now not only do I look like I'm 15 and pregnant - I now look like I'm 15, pregnant and not married. Fantastic. haha!

2 comments:

Amber said...

aww, i hate that for you. i know those episodes had to give you a good scare! i'm just glad for the most part that you & peanut are doing good! it might be hard, but you can do it!

well at least you can eat a whole lotta turkey!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Ok your PS totally made me LOL. I dealt with that too, but because my wedding bands were being specially made, so I only wore a single white gold band. And most often, people wouldn't see it so I would get these awful judging looks. I feel ya.

I HATE thats happening to you. But thankfully its nothing more serious. :)