Monday, February 22, 2010

Motherhood is...

A full time job.  Crazy.  Rewarding.  A feeling like never before.  Waking up at 1, 4, and 7 a.m.  Lots of laundry.  Wearing a baby bjourn for the first time.  Fun.  Nerve-racking.  Endless amounts of pictures.  Smiles.  Tears.  Playing dress up.  The biggest responsibility of your life.  The reason I had to stop 7 times to do something for the baby while writing this post.  A little scary.  Sleep depriving.  Amazing.  Loving your husband in a new way.  Seeing your parents light up when they look at their grandchild. Sustaining another life.  Constant prayer for your child.  Learning to do everything one-handed.  Sheer joy when he smiles...even if he doesn't know he's smiling yet.  Changing diapers.  A tiny hand wrapped around your finger.  Talking like an idiot in your "baby voice."  Looking at the world in a whole new light.  Being the person that can make the baby stop crying when no one else can.  Trying.  Staring at him because he won't be this little for long.  Cleaning just to clean up again tomorrow.  Driving slower because there is now a life more important than yours in the car.  Being nervous every time he grunts in the middle of the night.  Crying because the baby is a whole week old.  Expensive.  Discovering that you can, in fact, sleep for several hours without moving while the baby lays on your chest.  Having to make time for yourself.  Appreciating family and friends.  Not to be taken lightly.  Remembering what it felt like to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time.  Googling every.single.thing. you worry or wonder about.  Re-prioritizing your life.  Pure Joy.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Aww, loved this post!

I'm glad your loving the crazy, amazing ride of motherhood! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know HOW but I missed this post. I was wondering when we were gonna hear from you again.

This post brought a tear to my eye. I remember it all...and it still feels exactly the same way. You put it down perfectly, hun.