Friday, March 12, 2010

A Nice Break.

I've spent the last few weeks getting acclimated to life as a parent.  Whoa - yeah.  It's a wild ride!  I've learned so much, and yet felt so dumb, all the while growing to love a tee-nincy little boy more than I ever thought possible.  I've taken a break - a break from work, writing, cake decorating, living life as I used to know it.  I've spent a few great days on my couch watching two or three Harry Potter movies while holding Little A, and I've spent days doing nothing but cleaning.

Now here we are nearly six weeks into life as a Mom (yeah, he'll be six weeks old next Wednesday!) and things are slowly going back to the new normal.  I did my first cake last weekend, and have been so pleased with how many people didn't forget about me :)  I already have 4 orders for March and have been asked to do three more wedding cakes!

While I'm okay with things going back to normal - I'm not okay with the thought of working just yet.  I seriously could write a really loooong letter to my Congressman (or whoever I need to yell at) that six weeks is just.not.enough. for maternity leave.  I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of my son's personality, likes and dislikes and according to corporate America I'm just supposed to hand him over to someone when he can't even fully control his head movement yet.  Uhh no.

Luckily, my firm has been so understanding and is allowing me an additional two weeks (I couldn't take the full 12 FMLA weeks because of my bedrest - that's another letter to the Congressman) and I am fortunate enough to have my Mom willing to keep little man when I go back.  I don't like it though and that's all I have to say about that right now.

I've also taken a break from reading other blogs - not by intention - just by exhaustion.  I sit down on the computer and totally forget what I'm doing.  So, I apologize if I haven't commented on your blog in a while - I haven't forgotten about you and promise to catch up soon!

Now, it's time for me to go to bed...super early, on a Friday.  I'll just be up in three hours anyway! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad! You've got your hands full. And a break is always a good thing. ;)

I cant imagine what it must be like to be faced with having to leave him soon...but be thankful that he's going to be in your mom's excellently capable hands rather than with a stranger :)

Amber said...

I'm glad you took the time just to focus on your lil man! I cannot believe it's already 6 weeks! Wowza!

That's one of the many things that are messed up with America. We all complain about taxes, but actually they are lower here in comparison to other countries, but if we paid higher taxes we would actually get the benefits of other countries like having a YEAR off for maternity leave or not paying anything to go to the doctor, hospital, etc.

I know it's going to be really hard to go back to work, but thank goodness your mom will watch him! Maybe if it's possible you could go back to work part time for a little bit...