Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Continuation of our time in London...

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sixteen hours later....literally. Nate and I woke up from our serious jet lag. In hindsight I'm really glad that we decided to sleep in like that because we were able to actually enjoy our time without being in a zombie-like state for the rest of the trip.

We hopped the tube to Tower of London where they are currently hosting a "Henry the VIII - Dressed to Kill" exhibition. This showcases the armor for both men and horses from good ol' Henry's day in the White Tower (which is to the left in this picture where the construction is happening.)

Tower of London

It is here that they also showcase the crown jewels home to an over 500 carat diamond placed in the purple hat-thing the queen wears during the coronation ceremony. Yeah - it's freaking huge. We tagged along on a tour and I must say - British people are just funnier than we are. They just are. (At least in most cases.) Our guide was hilarious and very knowledgeable about the history of the Tower and all that was in it.

After spending nearly 3 hours there, we walked out the side entrance to my favorite London snapshot. Tower Bridge. Would you look at those blue skies! The Lord sure was good to us! It did not rain one. single. time. while we were there, which is totally unheard of in rainy London.



Nate and I in front of Tower Bridge.

Next stop - crowded Trafalgar Square with ever so tall and large Nelson's Column front and center. I think this man may have had somewhat of a Napoleon complex. Ya think? We did see a wedding party walking through the Square - on Thursday. Which is odd, because there was a wedding group the day before in front of Big Ben. I guess you don't need a sunny Saturday to get married in London!

We viewed artwork from the likes of Renoir, Rubens, Monet and Manet in The National Gallery and then headed to Piccadilly Circus (the Times Square of London) for dinner and some drinks. Enter tourist photo here:


Silly tourist.

The night life of London (or anywhere for that matter) has never been my thing. It's not that I don't feel safe or whatever, I just don't like to go out to clubs. So, we opted for a trip back to Westminster at dusk to catch some of the best views of the mammoth buildings and that huge farriswheel they call the Eye.

Big Ben at dusk

1 comment:

Amber said...

That last picture is amazing. I keep getting more jealous each time I read your blog! I'm glad you had such a great time! :)