Pause - I know most of you (if not all) probably really like cats - so, I must interrupt with - I have no problem with you having a cat and I'm glad that you like yours. In fact, I would be nice to your cat if I saw it and wouldn't even try to run over it if I came to your house. I personally just want nothing to do with the feline species as far as pet ownership goes. You may feel the same way about chocolate dogs. To each his own. That said... The stare. That flick of the tail before attack. The sudden quick movements. The claws. The nurturing of the furball for YEARS before it acknowledges you or trusts you and God knows you better not do something it dislikes ONE time or your own its' litterbox list.
While thinking about how much I loathe this creature and how dogs are just WAY better one day, it suddenly occurred to me that the reason I may dislike cats so much...is because I'm just like one.
I have the stare. The distrust. The sudden movements when you piss me off. My temper flares. I trust few and you do one thing I dislike, and well, you're on MY litterbox list.
After years of seeing friends and family turn their backs on friends and family I live somewhat of a guarded life when it comes to relationships. Of course I'm generally friendly and will be nice to mostly anyone I meet (unlike a cat,) chances are I don't fully trust you until you deserve it - much like a cat. I also have the ability, especially during certain times of the month or when pregnant, to flip my shiz for no reason at all, whip out the claws, leave you with a lashing and then totally expect you to pat my head when I come waltzing up later.
Dogs are the jam. I love all dogs immediately, and only dislike them when they prove to be idiots or vicious - but I don't want to be like one. They're trusting, goofy, loopy, silly and did I mention trusting? Most dogs, when in the face of danger, would probably rather lick it to death in hopes of there being a treat somewhere afterwards than to actually protect itself or it's owner.
I would rather be like a cat but a good cat. One that trusts few, but loves and adores those that they do. Who is beautiful, hypoallergenic, graceful, always lands on their feet and knows good and well why you just got attacked, even if your not smart enough to figure it out yet. With this new found knowledge and perspective, perhaps I am at cat person after all!
4 comments:
Lol this post made me laugh. I pictured you pouncing like a cat.
haha. I got a kick out of this! Since we grew up with dogs I NEVER wanted a cat. Allyson did when we were little and Dad refused to let one in the house. Murphy was a complete accident, but after a few years I learned the very same thing...I am kinda a cat person. I am not very trusting at first but fiercely loyal once you have gained my trust.
Lol! This is a cute post. I'm totally like a cat too for the same reasons you mentioned!
Cute Post Jessica! I grew up with Dogs and Cats. I never like anyone else's cat except ours. Callie was an awesome cat, almost like a Dog. She was very loyal and never moody. I miss her to this day.
I never thought I would have another one until I saw Aspen. Yes, Aspen is moody, needy at times, stand-offish to strangers, and has to know you to trust you. But what I love about her is how independent she is. I guess you would say, I am also a Cat women. I have all the qualities that she Possesses. I love dogs, but they are needy and demand constant attention. I guess I am just not ready for that step yet!
Lisa E
Post a Comment