Anyway, I'm be-boppin' along with my dog and come in the house to find that, well - I didn't leave myself a light on in the kitchen, so it's dark and I immediately get scared. I flip the switch, take a deep breath and continue in. Rounded the corner of the kitchen and notice that my bedroom light is on. I do not recall leaving this light on. The way our house is laid out from my kitchen you can see (through a window) my bedroom door that leads out to the back yard. I just kept staring at it like I was going to see a shadow or something. If you're nervous imagine how I felt!!
I put it out of my mind, but refuse to go in my bedroom. In fact, I refused to leave the kitchen. Well I'm about to calm down, I mean Nate is only 5 minutes away - surely no one will rape, murder and dismember me in 5 minutes, right? (that was harsh, I know - but these are my thoughts) Blood pressure is returning to normal and then the chocolate dog lowers her head and lets out a threatening growl staring straight down the hall at..where else? my bedroom.
Oh, hell no! I grabbed my keys and cell phone so fast Speedy Gonzalez woulda been put to shame, calmly called Bailey and we got our butts in my car. I called Nate and told him that I refused to stay in the house until he got home because I just had a strange feeling. No reason to feel strange, really - I just couldn't stay. He surprisingly didn't ask questions and said he would be right there.
Minutes later we all pull back in (Bailey and I circled the neighborhood) and I sit in my LOCKED car with the window cracked mere inches while I have Nate search my house. This, my friends is why I am glad that my husband is a "gun-toting redneck." He opens his safe, grabs a gun that would take down an elephant and goes in. I pity the fool on the other end of that piece of metal and gun powder. Moments later he emerges and tells Bailey and I it's safe to come out from under our rock and that nothing was wrong at all in the house.
Didn't ask questions. Didn't make me feel stupid. Just did it. Now THAT is a good husband. I'm now calm and have come to the conclusion that it was my nerves, hormones, something - but really, nothing. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong somewhere so I checked in with my siblings - all fine - and then just prayed for everyone I knew.
In my defense, in the past I have had feelings like this and totally been right. Illnesses in family members, my sister having a bad night, an animal dying at my parent's house - I mean numerous occasions. This is why I took my instinct seriously.
While trying to confirm my sanity, my Mom just said that sometimes we get these feelings that we can't explain and it's better to err on the side of caution rather than be sorry. I mean maybe there wasn't a person back there, but there could've been a snake, or a giant spider or something like that that might have harmed me had I gone back there at that time. Better safe than sorry, kids. Better safe than sorry.
3 comments:
That made me laugh and smile and gave me a cold chill. Nicely done.
I would have left too! Kinda creepy.
You think the way I do. Maybe that feeling was because you needed to get out for a little bit for one of those reasons mentioned. Or maybe it was just to get another realization of how awesome your hubby is. And you gotta love the gun-toting ones! ;)
Ohmygoodness. I woulda left too, girl.
I actually did leave once last summer (I was preggers, too) Nate was at an all-night softball tournament (literally went from 7pm to like 11am), and I was here with Aidan and Briana. I decided we should sleep in the great room on the couches so we could stay up watching TV. Around 11pm, I heard some weird noises coming from the basement. Our dog was hearing them, too. I let it go, figured it was nothing. But then I freaked myself out and decided we just had to leave. I woke the kids up and bolted out the door. I drove the 40 minutes to where Nate was, and we slept in the car at the ballpark. HAHA. I felt like such a loser, but I was scared. But I'm a big scaredy cat. The whole time Nate was gone in July, I kept Everett in my room in his packnplay, and we slept with the door to the bedroom locked, with the vacuum cleaner in front of the door. (My logic was that if someone somehow unlocked the door, I would hear the door bang into the vacuum cleaner, and I'd wake up in time to grab the gun I had on my nightstand.) And yes, I'm glad I'm married to a gun-toting redneck, too. Thank God for men like that!
P.S. I love your Nate's comment! Haha.
Post a Comment