Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Decisions. Decisions.

Today marks the most important election in my lifetime, if not one of the most important elections ever. As we all well know, it is the first time an African-American has been nominated for the presidency. Half of the excitement to rush out to the polls stems from this, but the other half is people’s dire need for “change.” Whether it be McCain or Obama they are voting for, most basically just want George Bush out!

It was really exciting driving into work this morning and seeing just how many people were standing in line to vote at the four or five centers that I passed – the lines were wrapped around buildings. I think it is fantastic that our country has finally taken their right to vote seriously. A friend told me that 85% of registered Floridian voters had already cast their vote before this morning. We all remember what happened back in 2000 when Bush and Gore were going head-to-head. I guess these people want to make sure that doesn’t happen again! (Not that I blame them!)

I will shamefully admit that I have totally been torn on who to vote for. Most people will say, “What!? HOW can you not know? They are so different!” Problem is – I tend to lean Republican, and share most of the same values, morals, and ideas as the Republicans typically do. But, I also know that statistically the economy is much better when a Democrat is in office. So what do I pick? To stand by my beliefs and what I think is ethically and morally right? Or stand by my desire to make my dollar stronger again? The latter of the two seems selfish, but we are in an ever-sinking economy and I just can’t convince myself that another Republican is the solution to the problem. Have no fear though, I have made an educated decision and will be heading to the polls this afternoon to help make history!

No comments: