Saturday, December 27, 2008

Marley, who?

Just when I thought that I had no ideas for a new blog – Bailey to the rescue. You’ve all no doubt seen the preview for the movie Marley & Me. It opened Christmas Day and apparently broke records in sales. What many don’t know is that this movie was a book first, a really OLD book. I got a copy for Christmas and can’t wait to read it!

The previews show a family (played by Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston) who get their first puppy, a yellow lab. Their lab, Marley, is full of energy and creates quite a few disasters along the way. I find myself daily thinking, “Marley, Who? More like Bailey & Me!”

Take for instance, last Saturday night. It had been a long week at work, I was PMSing, tired, and just needed to relax. So I headed to my garden tub, glass of wine in hand, and settled in for a bubble bath complete with dim lighting and candles. After a few minutes of peace and quiet, Bailey bolts in the door. Something about the end of the day and me being in the bathtub really excites her.

My bathtub is really high, and she can just now reach her paws up and see over the ledge. So I’m thinking that I’m safe, right? Wrong. She ran to the far wall and then dove straight at me and jumped right on in the tub! Quiet relaxing bath officially over. “NATE, NATE get her out!!!” I was laughing so hard I was helpless.

One thing Bailey discovered during this encounter, “hey, I’m a WATER DOG!” She had never been in water tall enough to actually feel like she could maybe swim in it! With every slap down of the paw, water went up, and she tried to eat it. Slap, water up, eat. Slap, water up, eat. Water was absolutely everywhere. On the wall, window, sink, floor, everywhere.

Bottle of wine. $7
Water. Free. (Well sort of)
Candles and Bubble Bath. $10
Having Bailey join you. Priceless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Marley and Me today and also read the book. Prepare to have tissue for both! We had a Black Lab name Jake, and he was one of kind and there will never be another. There is something about having a Lab! I miss him dearly and still wait for him to greet me when I go to my parents. There is nothing like having a 120 lb lab who tries to be a lap dog. We never had him inside, but the yard, garage, and his kennel had the evidence of a lab.

Lisa E