And now, I rant.
Driving in Charlotte on a daily basis is becoming more and more unbearable. I have driven all over the Southeast, and I strongly, strongly feel that Charlotteans are the worst drivers, ever. (Not to mention, our roads suck.)
If you don’t believe me, just take a little drive and observe others. They are inconsiderate, ignorant, and completely unaware that there are about 500 other cars on the road with them. So, I have decided that I will make a list of tips for all drivers who happen to stumble across my blog that may just help you not become an idiot-driver.
Pay Attention: This seems like a good one to start with. I honestly don’t mind if you put your make up on, eat, change clothes, or read in the car. (As I am guilty of all but the reading – and I don’t recommend that by the way.) We all have busy lives, and all multi-task. Traffic sucks, and we get bored. But for crying out loud, look up and around you every once in a while. You are not the only car on the road, and if you make me miss a green light because you were busy organizing your CDs, we’re not going to be friends.
Turning Signals: Not just for decoration. Use them. Appropriately. If you are turning left on a four lane highway onto a road that does not have a stop light or turning lane to protect you, a turning signal would greatly increase your chances of not getting your rear-end smashed.
Headlights: Contrary to what some make think, these aren’t just for the dark. If it’s foggy, and/or rainy turn your damn lights on!! It never ceases to amaze me that the cars that do not use their lights - 90% of the time are darker colored. If your car is the same color as the road, you’re gonna get creamed. Use your headlights.
Speed: Going 40 mph in a 65 mph zone IS NOT SAFE. You are not helping anyone, you are not being cautious – you are just in the way. And I would venture to say that slow drivers cause more wrecks than speeders. The spawn of Satan that I rear-ended was a “cautious” driver.
Driving Lanes: USE ALL OF THEM. If there are 2 left hand turning lanes, use both of them! Do not stubbornly sit in the right lane of the two and block traffic from going into the left one because you’re going to eventually need to turn right on the NEXT road A HALF MILE down. I am extra hostile about this one. Prime example: Randolph Rd turning left onto Sardis Road. I sit and watch these a-hole drivers allow the left lane to be completely empty while at least twenty more cars could go when the light turned green if everyone used both lanes.
I could probably list 100 more, but I will spare your time. Hopefully these tips have given you a little laugh and will keep you safe next time you brave I-485, or any other road that is ill-designed!
Snakes, snails and puppy dog tails. Sugar, spice and everything nice. That's what my kids are made of...mostly.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Beep, BLEEP.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Highway 485 = Satan's highway!!
What pisses me off is when I drive down 485, the speed limit is 65, I probably go about 80 & even a little over that and then people will fly right up on me & ride my back bumper even though i can't go anywhere because there is someone in front of me and directly beside me. And you are right,the slow drivers are just as bad too! Come on, can't you at least go the speed limit?!
I have to say South Carolinians are the worst drivers next to the Floridiots in Boone, NC.
Post a Comment