Sunday, January 18, 2009

Travel Fever.

In the Fall of 2005 I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in a study abroad program through my alma matter, Wingate University. One of 17 students, we hopped across the big pond and resided in St. John’s Wood in the northwestern part of London.

This came at a time when I was, let’s just say, less than happy with life. A long-term boyfriend had just left me for one of my friends, I didn’t know anyone at Wingate, and I just wanted OUT. Hmm, London sounds like a good place to start.

Little did I know, this “escape route” would lead me to find one of my serious passions in life – traveling. London was fantastic. It’s a city that seems to have its own heartbeat. Live, vivacious, and extremely fast paced. I probably could have spent all 108 days abroad in London, and still not seen it all. I did not, however.

One of our first stops in London was at the STAtravel office to set up our trips for the coming months. Ireland, Amsterdam, Italy, Paris, and a trip with the school to Plymouth and Edinburgh, Scotland. Seeing places as grand as those – with so much history – made me want for more. I am intrigued by different cultures, and the breathtaking landscapes that are this little earth that we live on.

Since that time, about every six months or so I get the intense urge to – go! I want to see something new, witness a new phenomenon, drive across a new state line! I’ve made it a goal, Lord willing, to see all fifty states, and to make it to Australia, if not New Zealand too!

Having all new PTO time at work has jumpstarted my desire this year, and all I want to do is plan, plan, plan. We are hoping to go on a cruise this year (will be my first) possibly go to Disney World, and I’m hoping to plan a girl’s weekend in New York.

At this point I’ve been to nearly all of the states within a reasonable driving distance from home, so the next 30 or so will likely have to be by plane, which is obviously expensive. But little, by little I hope to accomplish most of my dreams. (Hey, my granddaddy has been to all 50 – it’s possible!)

I am so thankful for the trip of my lifetime. It opened my eyes to a whole new world, and introduced me to friends that hold a very special place in my heart, and even eventually led to me meeting my husband. Good choice, all around!

No comments: