Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Free as a bird.

Today is a very sad day in Southern Rock history. Pianist and original band member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Billy Powell passed away this morning at age 56. Judging from the article I've read, he died of a heart attack. He called 911 around 12:55 a.m and was pronounced dead at 1:52 a.m.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is quite possibly my favorite band of all time. I fell in love with their music when I was in high school and was really moved by their guitar and piano solos. A lot of people have the misconception that Skynyrd was just a racist, loudmouth rock band, but if you really just sit and listen to their music, it really is wonderful. There are few songs that can move me like Simple Man and Freebird. They just don't make 'em like that anymore!

Good messages. Great music. Excellent musical solos. Billy Powell could play his solos with his eyes closed and never miss a beat. He was consistent and really felt the music that he played. I guess he gets to go join the other original band members in Heaven. I hope they're having a heck of a reunion.

Rest in peace, Billy. You're a free bird now!

1 comment:

Amber said...

They are the greatest band! I've listened to them ever since I was really little. Their songs are so real and you are right, you definitely won't hear songs like that anymore! RIP!