Thursday, January 22, 2009

Snowed in.

Tuesday was the first time I have seen snow in years it seems. We happily woke up to over four inches at my house! It was so beautiful! Nate dutifully jumped up and headed to work (that's just what manager's gotta do) and immediately called and told me not to dare think about driving - he ended up passing 11 cars in the ditch on the road outside of our neighborhood alone.

With my now fourth day off in a row - I got set to do a little reading (the Twilight series in case you were wondering) and lots of relaxing. A wrench was thrown in my joyful mood when I made a quick stop on facebook. Every other status message was "can't believe one inch of snow is causing this havoc" "can't believe I'm out of school today, the South is nuts" etc.

Well listen here, Yankees, North Westerners, and anyone else who is used to feet of snow at a time - down here in the sunny South, where we get about a half-inch a year - we do not have snowmobiles, proper shovels, or salt machines. Heck, some people don't even have proper clothes for snow.

It drives me insane that we are mocked for cancelling school, and being excited about it when it snows. We don't get it that often so it is ridiculous for us to have top of the line snow equipment when we seriously may only use it once in about 5 years.

So rather than complaining about your day off - embrace it, or at least let me enjoy mine! I don't go to New York and make fun of people who pass out when the temperature hits a mere 90 degrees! I would much rather have the day off then try to brave it and risk getting hit by one of the other idiot-drivers who is trying to make it to work two-wheel drive car. It's just not worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. When I moved to Virginia and saw 6+ inches of snow, I had no idea what to do. I was like "Dear God, we dont have this back home! How do you drive?" Lol. People made fun of me, of course. Then we moved to Ohio and they get feet upon feet of snow every year and I'm like "Do I REALLY have to go outside??"
Just tell the damn yanks to stick it where the sun dont shine sister!

Amber said...

Amen!